Vocal Play (All ages including adults)
Upcoming dates to be announced for 2017!
Location: May’s home teaching studio at Victoria Park & Danforth*
Pricing: $10 for adults; $7 for youth; free for children
All levels and ages, everybody is welcome!
Snacks and mini souvenirs (for children) will be offered.
Spaces are very limited. Sign up NOW!
Casual jam+gathering follows after for approx 1 hour.
Pricing: FREE if you are attending workshop; $4 if jam only
Scroll down for details.
*Address will be provided once I receive your inquiry. Please contact me if you have any concerns.
Can’t make it to the above dates? Please sign up for newsletter by email may[@]maychook.com to receive updates!
“I learned that you can do a lot of things with your vocals.”
“I learned that we shouldn’t judge how they sing and how they do in music.”
“It was fun to let out your feelings! Also I feel more connected to my classmates.”
~Grade 7 participants
There is no bad voice. Everybody can SING!
Join jazz and improvising vocalist May Chook for a SAFE and FUN vocal improvisation workshop. Let’s have fun singing, making funny sounds and speaking with style. Get to know new friends and learn singing tips. ALL ages and levels, families are welcome!
Feel free to bring along songs / samples / questions for singing advice. It is going to be fun!
What we do at Vocal Play workshops:-
- Music and sound-inspired activities
- Improv singing circle – explore the human voice in singing, speaking and making sounds
- Music movement exercise
- Learn song songs and make them your own
- Mini masterclass – bring in any songs or questions you want to go over
- Small group activities
Sounds like a lot happening in 1.5 hour? Yes it is, and it is worth it!
About the after-workshop jam:
• Each person sings at least one song (you can sit and observe first, but please prepare one song with lyrics–printed is best, on phone is okay)
• Peers and I will give feedback in a positive & non-judgmental space
• I can play chords for you if you bring them along; we can also Google/Youtube them on the spot
• You can play my piano/keyboard, you don’t need to be an expert to play an instrument!
• Share songs that we listen to, music venues to check out in Toronto, anything musical
• Anything that comes up. The jam is meant to be casual and for us to bond as music lovers and human beings
*The jam is more suitable for youth and adults. If you are coming with children, I have some snacks and activities to keep them engaged
Spaces are VERY limited. RSVP NOW!